Using dental bonding to improve the smile’s aesthetics
A beautiful smile can bring a patient not only an attractive appearance but also self-confidence. Imperfections that impact the teeth near the front of the smile, known as the “anterior teeth,” can significantly affect one’s look. With cosmetic dentistry solutions, many of the patients who visit Dr. Ramin Mirmooji of Msmiline Cosmetic Dentistry in Pierrefonds, Quebec, often find that they can disguise these concerns to improve the appearance of one or more teeth. For some of our patients, our team might recommend cosmetic bonding, sometimes called teeth bonding or dental bonding.
What is dental bonding?
Our dental team best describes dental bonding as a procedure for treating a cracked, chipped, or decayed tooth. The team will apply a special resin material to the teeth, shaping it so that the appearance better fits in with your smile. Once this is done and our team determines that the results are satisfactory, they will harden or “bond” the resin into place by using a curing light. It is then filed and polished to look exactly like natural tooth enamel–ensuring not only an improvement in the appearance but an improvement that doesn’t appear as dental work!
How does cosmetic bonding work?
There are several ways cosmetic dentistry solutions can improve one’s look. Dental bonding can be used:
- For gaps between the teeth
- For small, discoloured teeth near the front of the smile
- To fix chipped, cracked, or misshapen teeth
Dental bonding offers a more conservative treatment option than other cosmetic dentistry solutions like porcelain veneers. Not only this, but it is also less expensive than a porcelain veneer procedure, making it an ideal choice for those on a budget. On top of this, it can be done in just one visit and allows our team to improve your appearance right away!
What should I know about dental bonding?
Patients should be aware that:
- The resin used during this procedure isn’t as durable as porcelain or ceramic options, and it may stain over time. Porcelain veneers might be a better choice for patients who desire firmer results that won’t discolour or stain.
- The results from cosmetic bonding are not always as permanent as other treatment options like porcelain veneers and dental implants. Patients who wish to make their smile more stable and resistant to staining over time would likely prefer a more durable solution.
Schedule a visit with Dr. Ramin Mirmooji today!
While these concerns aren’t major ones during the process of dental bonding, it is important that our team make sure you understand your treatment option so that you can decide if this procedure is right for you! If you have questions about what treatments will best restore your teeth, please call Msmiline Cosmetic Dentistry of Pierrefonds, QC, at (514) 613-1888 today!